Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Washington DC

 
Andrew had a ten-day break off of school between summer and fall semesters, so we took a quick weekend trip to Washington DC for some much needed R&R on August 16-17.  I have been a shut-in for the last ten weeks or so and now that I am starting to have a little more energy and feel a *little* better, I was eager to get out of the house. It was Andrew's first time in DC and when I kept talking about "just walking around the National Mall" as we made plans, he was pretty skeptical as to what that entailed.

We started with an afternoon session at the Washington DC temple.  #newmovie  (Sorry, I couldn't help it!)  We had a beautiful time in the temple.  There was one particular phrase in the two-hour session that stood out individually to both Andrew and I.  We discovered it as we were talking over our experience later in the Celestial Room.  What a testimony to both of us of the power of the Spirit that is there.  It truly is God's house.  As we begin our family, we fervently hope that our children know how much the temple means to us.  We are so blessed to be sealed for time and all eternity and greatly desire that blessing for them as well.  The temple brings us the blessings of heaven here to us on earth. 


Andrew and I decided to stay the night outside of DC in Alexandria.  He found an amazing deal on Travelzoo at a beautiful hotel called The Morrison House.  We loved it!  We had free valet parking for the weekend and just took the free King Street Trolley in Alexandria to the Metro station and then the Metro into the city.  It worked out perfectly!
We did a little shopping that night and I finally broke down and bought maternity clothes.  Just two t-shirts from H&M but it was enough to make me say, "Is this really happening?"  I have been in serious denial about my baby bump.  Especially since it looks more like an expanding spare tire at this point.  But at 15 1/2 weeks, I am bound to find clothes a little more snug than normal.  My older sister Sarah said it best, "Welcome to the 'knits phase'!"  I still attempt to wear my regular clothes but that muffin top looks like a Cinnabon explosion, let's be honest.
Like I said, our hotel was awesome.  We loved it!  And it was right in the heart of downtown Alexandria, so we were close to shopping, dining, and sigh-seeing.


 
We spent most of Saturday in DC.  There is so much to see that we couldn't fit in everything that we wanted to do on this trip so Andrew is already planning our next visit!  So we decided to start at one end and worked our way around.
 





Whew!  We made it.  We made several prolonged stops in the National Air and Space Museum as well as the National Gallery of Art.
I love Renoir!

The only Leonardo Da Vinci in the Western Hemisphere


And a few outtakes from the trip:
Andrew models the bathrobe provided by housekeeping

Seriously this was one of the "works of art" on display.  Come to my house, I have artistic piles like this everywhere

I am DONE walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment