Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Friday, August 1, 2014

A Whirlwind of Patriotism

Fourth of July Weekend 2014

My Dad is retiring after 37 years in the Church Education System as a Director of Seminaries and Institutes.  There was a retirement party for him in West Lafayette, Indiana on July 5.  Andrew is currently doing an eight week internship with Lynchburg Health & Rehab and we didn't think we would be able to make it since he was assigned to work on the holiday.  But his awesome Clinical Instructor generously gave him the day off *and* didn't make him come in on a Saturday to make up the day.  Wow!

So we hopped in the car early July 4th and spent the holiday driving to Indiana.  Miss C did an awesome job until her 7:00 PM witching hour.  We love that she is such a good sleeper and wouldn't change that at all!  However, she doesn't want to be held or in a car seat when it is time to take a nap or go down for the night and that can be a little challenging if we don't have access to her swaddling blankets and a crib.

This was the first time all of my immediate family has been together since Andrew and I got married in February 2012.  It was so exciting!  And it was extra awesome-sauce to get all of the cousins--particularly "the quads"--all together.
We put Cambria to bed and went outside for Bags, Bocce Ball, and burgers & brats on the grill.  When it got dark enough, we went across the street to the park in our neighborhood to light off fireworks over the pond.  Todd and Sarah's family had stopped in Covington, Indiana at Shelton Fireworks on the way out to my parents' house to load up on some incredible fireworks.

The funniest moment from that night came when a big group of families came out to the park to sit on the playground equipment and watch our show.  They all had glow-in-the-dark bands on from head to toe and someone in our group started joking that they were "The Sharks" and we were "The Jets."  Unbeknownst to them, we had a Jerome Robbins dance-off and we--or should I say Kyle--won.  If only they knew what we were all laughing about!

The runner-up funny moment was when Cole got it in his head that he was going to perform an elaborate bottle rocket launch on said playground equipment.  He lit his firework and raced across on the zip line.  He tried to hop off and throw the bottle rocket before it blew up but slipped and ninja rolled his way to safety thereby ruining his dress pants.  Tears may have been shed over the hilarity.

With all that excitement, we got to bed way too late that night.  And the next morning came way too early.

The family all gathered together for pictures the next day.  With four babies, it was a miracle that we were able to successfully get a few photos in without any blowouts or spit-up incidents--at least none that I know of!  (Pictures will be posted later!)

Trinity was so good with all of the babies.  There wasn't a time the entire weekend that she didn't have a baby with her.  She loved being "the first to hold Cambria" on our trip and could entertain Little Miss for hours on end.  It was a nice break for us!  One time, Trinity suggested, "You should move to Colorado and that way I can watch Cambria so that you and Andrew can go to a movie, out for sushi, and eat cookies at The Cookie Company!"  That sounds like the best idea ever.
The babies all went down for afternoon naps and while most of the grown ups busted out a round of Dominion, I had the chance to practice with our new camera.  As Todd said, "This is the most well-documented game in the history of Dominion."  
 
Kyle was the newbie, so Cole shows him the ropes.  And thank heavens for Intrigue so we can play with six players!
After naps, Ian and Julie were happily playing on the floor together and I wanted to get some photos of them with Cambria.  I plopped her down between the two of them and IT DID NOT GO WELL! {My white balance is off in these photos--I didn't have a chance to correct it before chaos ensued.}
Take 1: 
 It took a little cheering up from Aunt Sarah before Cambria was back to her happy self.  What a drama queen!
Take 2:
These photos were taken in between tears from Cambria.  Poor girl was not feeling social that afternoon.  It had been tricky for her to nurse (too many distractions) and get in a good nap (too much excitement), so she wasn't the happiest cookie.

Take 3:

Until...
I just watch this video over and over and over and crack up at these poor kids crying while their parents all laugh at them.  Poor things!

But we really love babies in this family.  So, so much!
That evening we had a retirement party for Dad.  It was nice to celebrate his career and the many lives that he touched.  I am so grateful for his service in the Church professionally as well as through callings.  All retirement photos are courtesy of Vanessa at Pearl Photo & Design.
Todd's parents: Pat and Carmen Coleman
The Follis family (minus Jennifer): Drew & Maddie Hall, Don Follis, Curt and Dad
Tim and Loni Gibb (Dad's secretary)
After the party, it was time for more Bags and Croquet.  I love lawn games so much!  If I'm not playing board games, I want to be playing lawn games.
 
I didn't see Andrew all night and when I went looking for him, I found him in the garage assembling a super sparkler bomb with the one hundred leftover el cheapo sparklers.
Good news.  His super sparkler bombs were AWESOME!  Certainly didn't disappoint, that's for sure!

After round two of fireworks, we headed back inside for more games: this time we were divided between Forbidden Island and Sequence.  Sequence definitely became the game of the weekend.  It was super fun!
 
The next day, we all attended sacrament meeting together for Ian's blessing and then Andrew & I broke up the party for our long drive back to Virginia.  Little Miss celebrated her five month birthday by snoozing her way home.
\

No comments:

Post a Comment