We had our "welcome interview" with Bishop Shorter when we first moved in and then he contacted our former ward to get the real scoop on us. Bishop Adam Goodman has been called to replace Bishop John Keele in the Cherry Hill 6th ward. Andrew worked with Bishop Goodman in Young Men's (Adam was the stake YM president) and in just a little over a year, Andrew had three Goodman boys with him in Teachers' Quorum.
I got the nicest Facebook message from Bishop Goodman:
"Your bishop called me yesterday to see if you two are as good as he thinks you are. I told him you were even better than that. Thanks for your service in the ward and your friendship. Adam"
I can't tell you how much I cried when I read that message! We loved our time in the Cherry Hill 6th ward and miss our first "ward family" so much!
Andrew and I finally got our callings the last week in July. I say "finally" but I know that the ward has been working hard to find a good way to put us to work. Andrew was called to be the second counselor in the Young Men's presidency and Deacons' Quorum advisor. He is so excited to be working with the Young Men again!
I was called to be the Primary chorister. This is a little bit outside of my comfort zone but I am excited to serve!
The same Sunday that we were given our callings, we were also asked to speak. Since I like to write out my talks and deliver them verbatim, I can include mine below. The Primary children sang a medley between my talk and Andrew's and I included the lyrics to the songs they would sing in my talk to help them review before they had to sing.
Andrew is a much more talented speaker and he can "wing it" like a speaking professional. I may ask him to jot down a few notes to include as well.
TO BE A PIONEER
July 28, 2013
Lynchburg 1st Ward, Buena
Vista Stake, Virginia
When
I was a young girl in Primary back in Illinois, I admit that I paid little attention
to lessons about the pioneers. My
parents were both converts to the Church and remain the only members among
their immediate families. Hence I have
no direct pioneer heritage that I am aware of (and we have done a lot of
searching through our family history!)
One
time we had a Primary president that held an activity for Pioneer Day—which is
a day that we commemorate the pioneers reaching their final destination in the
Salt Lake valley back on July 24, 1847.
We decorated our red wagons with patriotic streamers and balloons leftover
from the ward’s Fourth of July parade and all of the girls wore bonnets and
aprons. The entire Primary rode around
the Church parking lot several times for our parents, singing:
Pioneer children sang as they walked and
walked and walked and walked.
Pioneer children sang as they walked and
walked and walked and walked.
They washed at streams and worked and
played.
Sundays they camped and read and prayed.
Week after week, they sang as they
walked and walked and walked and walked and walked.
Later,
as a Young Woman, we made a yearly trip to Nauvoo, Illinois for various
reasons, as our stake center was only about four hours from Nauvoo. Before the early members of the Church made
their long journey across the plains and into the Rocky Mountains, they created
a beautiful, bustling community along the banks of the Mississippi River filled
with brick buildings that are still standing today. I loved to go pick out fudge from the local
Fudge Factory and we enjoyed the City of Joseph pageant. There were restored shops to tour and every
year I dutifully collected a Nauvoo brick, a prairie diamond, and a gingerbread
cookie from the bakery. I have quite the
collection of Nauvoo trinkets! We also
toured the temple site and what remained of the old foundation and admired a
small display of what the temple would have looked like back then.
In
the April 1999 General Conference, when I was finishing my sophomore year at
BYU, President Hinckley announced the rebuilding of the Nauvoo temple. I believe that was what inspired my
excitement for Church history.
My
family took a series of weekend vacations over the following summers to various
Church history sites to trace the steps of the early Saints. The following excerpts are taken from my
personal journals and photo albums:
We
began in the upper Northeast where the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored in
latter days through the prophet, Joseph Smith.
“In the New York
area, we visited Joseph Smith’s boyhood farm, Peter Whitmer’s home and the
Martin Harris home. We also saw the Hill
Cumorah and the new [at that time in June 2001] Palmyra temple. The tours were really interesting and it
truly humbled me to stand where such great men and women had.
“It’s hard to
describe the feeling you have as you stand at the foot of Joseph Smith’s bed
where the Angel Moroni revealed the location of the Golden Plates. And how can you put into words the
awe-inspiring surroundings of the sacred grove?
This vacation was a testimony to me of the sacrifice, courage and
ultimate reality of the early [Church] members.
These tangible locations served to solidify my faith that God is real
and [He] speaks to [His] people today…
“In] the
Kirtland area, we saw the John Johnson farm, Kirtland temple, the printing
office [for the Book of Mormon] and the Newel K. Whitney store.”
Just
as the Saints made their way from New York and Ohio, we made our way to the
sites in Missouri and Nebraska. On this
particular vacation we toured Independence including the temple lot as well as
Adam-ondi-Ahman, Far West, Haun’s Mill and Winter Quarters.
“…Mom, Dad, Kyle
and I decided to visit some [Church] history sites together. Kyle was leaving for his mission [to] Chile
in just a few weeks and this would be our last trip [with him] for 2 years.
“We had a great
visit! We toured the RLDS and Hedrekite
sites, also. We are definitely thankful
to be members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and are
indebted to the early pioneers for their tremendous lives!”
And
as I had in many previous summers, I seemed to always find myself back in
Nauvoo.
“I am lucky to
live just three and a half hours [I was in my early twenties and a bit of a
speed demon driving on the empty country roads] away from Nauvoo and
Carthage—two [Church] history sites rich with Latter-day Saint heritage. I still can’t believe that there is a temple
where once there were ruins! I never
could have imagined that it would be rebuilt and in my lifetime, too. Every time we drive around the bend in the
road by the old Mississippi, the temple seems to just spring up in all of its
majestic glory.
“Taking a
day-trip to Nauvoo has become a summer tradition in our [Young Single Adult]
ward. We always make sure that our trip
coincides with the City of Joseph pageant so that we can cram as much
excitement into one day as possible—especially for those students who have
heard about Nauvoo all of their lives but are experiencing it for their first
time.”
These
words that I recorded are not profound in any way. But they are a part of my legacy of
faith—something that I will leave for friends and future generations to know
that I had a testimony of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, that I
honor the sacrifices of the early members of the Church, and that I know that
we have a Father in Heaven who lives and loves all of His sacred children.
In
our short married life, Andrew and I have been able to visit many of these same
historical sites in Utah, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Ohio. We have felt the influence of these Saints
strengthen our own commitment to temple covenants and missionary work. The Spirit we have experienced in these
sacred sites has brought us closer to our Father in Heaven, our ancestors, and
one another. We are renewed to continually
dedicate our lives to aid in “bring[ing] to pass the immortality and eternal life
of man” (Moses 1:39) by following the example of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
As
I became acquainted with the early Saints through their letters and stories and
artifacts, I recognized in myself a pioneer spirit. I, too, had that moment of conversion that
led me to dedicate my life to living the gospel of Christ. I faced challenges to my faith daily. I knew that God had a plan for me. I am a pioneer.
A
few weeks ago, Andrew and I had the opportunity to substitute in Primary as the
choristers. I assumed that we had failed
miserably. I was right. Apparently, Heavenly Father sees that I need a
little more time in Primary and so next week I return after a twenty-two year
sabbatical. I hope I get it right this
time.
One
of the songs that Andrew and I learned with the Primary students was “To Be A
Pioneer.” I caught myself singing that
song around the house and at work throughout the week that followed our brief
stint in Primary. The words are:
You don’t have to push a handcart,
Leave your fam’ly dear,
Or walk a thousand miles or more
To be a pioneer!
You do need to have great courage,
Faith to conquer fear,
And work with might for a cause that’s
right
To be a pioneer!
I
am struck by the veracity of these simple words as we study the Doctrine and
Covenants this year in Sunday School.
Every week, we ponder together as a class, whether or not we could face
the challenges of the early Saints. Could
we show the same faith in God’s will for us?
Despite our own doubts, I want to tell you that the answer is yes.
In
an October 1997 General Conference, Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the
Twelve said:
“Many
of our challenges are different from those faced by former pioneers but perhaps
just as dangerous and surely as significant to our own salvation and the
salvation of those who follow us. For
example, as for life-threatening obstacles, the wolves that prowled around
pioneer settlements were no more dangerous to their children than the drug
dealers or pornographers who threaten our children. Similarly, the early pioneers’ physical hunger
posed no greater threat to their well-being than the spiritual hunger
experienced by many in our day. The
children of earlier pioneers were required to do incredibly hard physical work
to survive their environment. That was
no greater challenge than many of our young people now face from the absence of
hard work, which results in spiritually corrosive challenges to discipline,
responsibility, and self-worth” (Following the Pioneers, Ensign, November 1997).
Perhaps
our obstacles come in different forms, but the gospel principles that we employ
to combat our challenges are the same used by the pioneers—principles
identified by Elder Oaks such as commitment, courage, integrity, inclusion,
cooperation, unity, unselfishness, sacrifice, obedience and faith.
And
just as our pioneer forbearers—whether in the 1800s or those that we read about
in days even more ancient that that—we, too, can turn to our Savior in times of
challenge and strife and hear His words:
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto
you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it
be afraid” (John 14:27).
“Trust
in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and He will
direct thy paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).
Finally,
a scripture that we will discuss in Sunday School this afternoon:
“…Peace
be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small
moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou
shalt triumph over all thy foes”
And
just as Nephi, the Book of Mormon prophet responded, we can say:
“I
will go and do what the Lord has commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no
commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them
that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 3:7).
Our
beloved late prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “Whether you are among
the posterity of the pioneers or whether you were baptized only yesterday, each
is the beneficiary of their great undertaking” (True to the Faith, Ensign, May 1997, 65).
I
testify that every one of us is a pioneer.
We all are on a spiritual journey that is unique to us. No one
has the travelled the path you have. It is through faith in our Heavenly Father’s
eternal plan and through the saving grace of the greatest sacrifice of all—the
atonement of Jesus Christ—that we will persevere.
I love that you included 1 Nephi 3:7. I think of that as our family motto. xoxy
ReplyDelete