Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Our New Routine

It took me several weeks before I felt confident enough to leave the house by myself with two kids. I am sure it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to a mom who is already a professional child wrangler but it was a huge leap for me.

One of the biggest challenges that was holding me back was the fact that Cambria is still a little shaky going up and down the stairs. We live on the second floor of our complex and so leaving the house means a flight of stairs with a baby carrier and a wobbly toddler. Cambria can not be rushed down the stairs because of skill AND because she likes to lollygag along the way by exploring every knot in the wooden banister or exclaiming in disgust at each cobweb.

But I bit the bullet and developed a weekly routine for Cambria, Titan, and I and we are getting out of the house. Finally. On days that we have somewhere to go, I load up the kidlets early in the morning and we drive Andrew to school so that I can have the car.

It is definitely a challenge coming up with things to do with Cambria throughout the week. I would love to know what resources other moms use to discover fun thing to do with their toddlers. I try to utilize blogs, the parks and recreation department, the Lynchburg city website, library calendars, social media, etc.

On Monday mornings we go to the Forest Library for "Rockabye Reader" with Miss Carolyn at 10:15. I am a big fan of public libraries. I often say that if I hadn't become a dental hygienist, I would have gotten a Master's in Library Science. We have three libraries within 10-15 minutes of where we live and I keep up with the activity calendars for all three. It's been fun for me to meet and socialize with other moms through the various story times offered during the week.

On Tuesday mornings we host a play date at our house. Titan usually takes a snooze in our bedroom and I am able to get some things done around the house while Cambria is entertained. This is what the aftermath can look like:
There were only three plastic bracelets left in the toy box after this particular play date
On Wednesday mornings we go to the Lynchburg Library for "Babygarten" at 10:30 or we have our Church play group outing.

On Thursday mornings we go to the Forest Library for "Rockabye Reader" with Miss Carolyn at 10:15 or we have our Church play group outing if it wasn't on Wednesday.

On Friday mornings we have random errands to run or things to do usually. On September 18, our whole family drove down to Bedford to visit my old dental office associates at Peaksview Dental. It was so nice to see everyone and show off Mr. T.
Carmen (left) and Anouri (right) are two hygienists that used to work with me over at Forest Dental Center in Lynchburg before we all jumped ship!
Cambria was a big fan of the dental swag she acquired from our prize basket
On Friday afternoons, the four of us go to Amazement Square--a children's museum in downtown Lynchburg. We bought a year-long family membership for $90 right after Titan was born so that we had somewhere fun to go in case of inclement weather/cabin fever. It has been a great investment for us! Sometimes we run into friends while we are playing at the different exhibits and sometimes we invite friends to meet us there. On September 18, Marta and Dax Dulude hung out with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment