Now that Andrew and I have two children, our strategy is "divide and conquer." Andrew is on "Cambria duty" and Titan is my charge.
Friday, August 14, was our first full day at home as a family of four. Andrew doesn't start classes again until next Thursday so we have a nice adjustment period. Not that it is that challenging to adjust with such a chill baby around.
Even though Titan is only three days old, he had his first doctor's appointment with Mr. Kresge. He now weighs 8 lbs. 1 oz.--quite the jump from 7 lbs. 11 oz. yesterday when we were released from the hospital.
Titan also had his first sponge bath that night. He really didn't like it at all and cried until Andrew wrapped him up in his towel at the end. For as little crying as Titan does, he certainly turns on the waterworks when he is naked!
After Church on Sunday, August 16, I really wanted to get some photos of Cambria and Titan together. So far, she has just been ignoring him or jealous and crying when I am holding him. Looks like she still isn't ready to embrace her role as Big Sis quite yet. This is the closest she has gotten to touching him.
Monday, August 17, Titan gave his bouncy chair a try. We had to keep kicking Cambria out of it throughout the day as she is a big fan of it as well.
Thursday, August 20, was Andrew's LAST FIRST day of school. It's funny to reflect that back on Andrew's first day of Physical Therapy school in June 2013, I woke him up a little early and told him I was pregnant with Cambria. Fast forward to this day and we have TWO KIDS!
It was also the first time I had the two kids by myself! I think it will be okay. I should say that I am going to be spoiled by his school schedule for the next eight weeks. Andrew only has class for a few hours each morning Monday through Thursday. He plans to stay at school after class and study while the kids take their naps and then take Cambria out in the afternoons.
Before Andrew left for school this morning, Cambria decided she wanted to hold Titan. This was her first time! She deigned to give him a little kiss yesterday so we are making progress slowly.
The morning proved to be a little challenging. Cambria would cry because I was holding Titan and that would make him cry in turn--lots of tears from them and lots of juggling by me.
Here are some random musings I had as a mother trying to keep up with two kids:
Some photos of Andrew and Titan:
Friday, August 21, and we still had a sick little girl on our hands. After her nap, Cambria's fever soared over 104-degrees. We phoned her NP but he was double booked for the rest of the day. So Andrew took Cambria to the MedExpress. I stayed home with Titan and cried that I couldn't be with her. I was starting to get really worried about what could be wrong! Thankfully, it was only an ear infection in her right ear (probably the progression of her cold) and she was given a prescription for antibiotics and instructions for Tylenol. She started feeling better soon after that.
We are loving the extra family time we get on Fridays since Andrew doesn't have class. On August 28 we had a lazy morning drinking smoothies. Cambria drank all of hers and then all of mine.
I never get any pictures of Titan and I together. Mostly because I hang out in my pajamas (nothing fits or stays clean) and never put on any makeup or do my hair. I hope to get it together one of these days. But I did snap some "pool selfies" of T-Man and I when we stopped by to see Cambria and Andrew after Titan's 2-week doctor's visit.
By the end of the month, Cambria started to warm up to Titan even more. I think she has figured out that he is a permanent fixture around the house. She likes to climb up on top of next to him on the couch and give him hugs and kisses.
PetSmart:
And finally, I have to give a shout out to so many of my "new mom" friends that have had babies as well. I love the photos and the updates and I have loved experiencing this with all of you! If it seems like everyone around you is pregnant right now, it's because that is true. And here's the proof:
Friday, August 14, was our first full day at home as a family of four. Andrew doesn't start classes again until next Thursday so we have a nice adjustment period. Not that it is that challenging to adjust with such a chill baby around.
Titan also had his first sponge bath that night. He really didn't like it at all and cried until Andrew wrapped him up in his towel at the end. For as little crying as Titan does, he certainly turns on the waterworks when he is naked!
| First bath at home. Daddy is a pro. |
There was exciting news for the Mitchell family as well that day! Andrew's brother, Devin, and his wife, Katherine, welcomed Titan's closest cousin, Eden Belle. Eden was due on August 10 but proved a little stubborn by showing up four days late. She was 8 lbs. 1 oz. and 19 inches long. We are so excited that Titan will have a Mitchell cousin extra close to his age just like Cambria has three Isenbarger cousins her age.
Saturday, August 15, I decided to use my spare time shooting photos of Mr. T instead of taking advantage of the quiet and catching up on some much needed sleep. I just couldn't help myself!| Perfect baby boy |
Grammy and Boompa sent flowers for me and a balloon for Cambria to celebrate Titan's arrival. Cambria LOVED her balloon!
Monday, August 17, Titan gave his bouncy chair a try. We had to keep kicking Cambria out of it throughout the day as she is a big fan of it as well.
I attempted Titan's "Newborn Photo Shoot" on August 19. Unfortunately, we had a string of overcast days and it was extremely challenging to find any natural light to utilize. But I got a few photos.
This is what Titan's one week growth spurts looked like:| Whew! |
It was also the first time I had the two kids by myself! I think it will be okay. I should say that I am going to be spoiled by his school schedule for the next eight weeks. Andrew only has class for a few hours each morning Monday through Thursday. He plans to stay at school after class and study while the kids take their naps and then take Cambria out in the afternoons.
| Lynchburg College Doctorate program for Phsyical Therapy: 2016 Cohort |
The morning proved to be a little challenging. Cambria would cry because I was holding Titan and that would make him cry in turn--lots of tears from them and lots of juggling by me.
Here are some random musings I had as a mother trying to keep up with two kids:
- When is it safe to dash off and take a shower without the fear that your house will be a total wreck and someone (ahem, Cambria!) may be missing a tooth or an eye or a limb when you hop out three and a half minutes later?
- How come Cambria has a bazillion toys that she is bored of yet she can watch the same Barbie movie over and over everyday for months on end?
| The "Side Eye" |
She's feeling well enough to steal Titan's things...
Titan has the coolest toys!
Oh, by the way, my pregnancy app let me know that today was my "due date" as well. Oops! Guess I have been too busy to update that! We have a one and a half week-old already!
I took some cute photos of Titan waiting for his bath while Andrew bathed Cambria on August 27. He had a little "blowout" and so I just put him in a clean diaper and popped him in his bouncy seat so that I could clean up after dinner. Cambria came running up to him and was so cute coveting checking out the bells and whistles of the bouncy seat.
| Ready for a real bath since T is rocking a brand new belly B |
| "Cambria, can you help Mommy by entertaining Titan?" |
| Bath time = sad time. Pretty much the only time this boy cries is when he is naked. Only two weeks old and he already knows that "modest is hottest!" |
| "Helping" Daddy with Mr. T's bath |
I never get any pictures of Titan and I together. Mostly because I hang out in my pajamas (nothing fits or stays clean) and never put on any makeup or do my hair. I hope to get it together one of these days. But I did snap some "pool selfies" of T-Man and I when we stopped by to see Cambria and Andrew after Titan's 2-week doctor's visit.
Titan's two (and a half) week doctor's visit went great. Everything seems to be pretty easy-peasy with child number two--a lot less questions and worry. That being said, there isn't enough social media to get me through all of the nursing Titan does during his WEEKLY growth spurts. Home Slice was 9 lbs. 13 oz. at his check up. He has gained more than two pounds since we left the hospital! With all of that nursing, sometimes his tummy is really upset. I am starting to suspect that he has a little bit of reflux. Also, he seems to have some throat congestion or phlegm way in the back that makes him cough and sputter when he is lying down. We'll have to see how that goes.
(Notice the fence pieces in his lap for him to play with as well)
It's adorable to see the relationship between Andrew and Cambria develop as they spend all of their time together running errands and going on excursions. I love the videos and photos that Andrew texts to me when they are out and about.PetSmart:
Dick's Sporting Goods:
Amazement Square:
Chalk Art Festival in Downtown Lynchburg:
Date at Dairy Queen (sweets are NOT a good idea before nap time FYI):
Blackwater Creek Trail:
My recovery has been great. I feel so good physically, mentally, emotionally...And I know I owe it all to my little family. Cambria has been super cooperative and has been taking nice, long naps in the afternoon. Titan is sleeping in 3-4 hour stretches. When he wakes up, he nurses, burps, gets his diaper changed and goes right back to sleep without incident. And Andrew is my rock. He takes care of everything for me around the house so that I can just relax and enjoy having a new baby. I can't say enough about how wonderful he is as a husband, father, and eternal companion. Thanks, babe!
| My bedside pharmacy--new moms know exactly what I am talking about! |
- Marietta Paxson--Libby & Gene (July 24)
- April Curtis--Kobenz (July 28)
- Lara Wilson--Finn (July 31)
- Trudy Overton--Jonathan Ezekiel Victor Sebastian (August 4)
- Allie Jeppeson--Finn (August 11)
- Katherine Mitchell--Eden (August 14)
- Caitlin Sweeney--Mason (August 19)
- Christina McArthur--Micah (August 30)
So, I don't know if it'll work for Titan or not, but in the NICU, they gave the babies baths while they were "swaddled" in the hospital receiving blankets and only washed one body part at a time and kept the rest covered. Just swaddle him up and plop the whole swaddled bundle in the bath water! Uncover a little at a time & keep the rest of him bundled. It helped Alex relax during baths much more and not scream during baths. It worked so well, in fact, I did it with Evan when he got home too! One more piece of laundry, but it was well worth it! You've got some darling kiddos!
ReplyDelete