Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sugar Cookies (To Sweeten the Last Presidential Debate)

For our Family Home Evening on October 22, we had the Silvas over to watch the final presidential debate and decorate sugar cookies for Halloween.

#17 Decorate sugar cookies

So it all started out rather scary.  I used Sarah's sugar cookie recipe that is tried, tested and true but let's just say IT DID NOT WORK OUT for me.  At all.  Yikes.  When I pulled the first batch out of the oven and they looked like this:..
...I knew we were in trouble.  I'm sorry.  Did you want to decorate sugar pancakes?!  And what's more mortifying is that Chris & Amy were there to decorate with us.  Witnesses.  I had witnesses to this mess!  I may have had a minor (ahem MAJOR) meltdown after they left about how I can't cook blah, blah, blah but Andrew was sweet and said, "They're sugar cookies.  No one likes to eat them anyway.  They are just fun to decorate" and that made me feel all better.  Really.  It did.  But now looking at that, it's kind of a funny comment.

Amy suggested that it was probably the high altitude.  I'm sure she's right.  I can't believe that after living (and baking) in Utah for three and a half years, I didn't remember that you have to adjust recipes for high altitude.  I was wondering why all of my bread and baked goods seemed to need twice as much flour these days.  Duh.

Ah well.

Andrew is truly an artist!

Afterwards, we had pumpkin milkshakes for dessert (as if cookies weren't enough!)  I got the recipe from Vanessa and it is yummy!

PUMPKIN MILKSHAKE
Here’s a recipe from Vanessa that she and Curt love (especially in the Fall).  When I think of Curt, I think of pumpkin-anything!

2 c. vanilla ice cream                                                     ¼ c. milk
2 T. canned pumpkin                                                    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Whipped topping                                                          Cinnamon

Blend ice cream, milk, pumpkin and nutmeg together until smooth for 1 large milkshake or two medium milkshakes.  Garnish with whipped topping and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment