Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Monday, August 10, 2015

Fourth of July Week | 2015

Andrew had to fly back to Las Vegas on Tuesday, June 30. Originally, we had hoped to spend a long Fourth of July weekend together but I thought I had to work July 3 and Andrew's family was having the Hammond Family Reunion in Washington that same time. It was a hard decision but we decided to have Andrew come out the weekend before to Virginia and then be with his family in Washington for the Fourth.

When I found out that I didn't have to work on July 3, I started to feel a little bummed since I didn't have any holiday plans for Cambria and I. My parents volunteered to drive out to Virginia and pick me up and take me back to Indiana. That really perked me up! I didn't want to make the ten hour drive by myself with Cambria at 34 weeks pregnant and I knew that such a long drive would be a butt-buster for me. Then we had the brainstorm that maybe I could manage a short flight with Cambria.

The flights from Charlotte, NC to Indianapolis were barely over an hour long and so by the time the plane hit cruising altitude, it wouldn't be long before it began it's descent. Andrew was able to find a flight to Vegas for him and a flight to Indianapolis for Cambria and I that departed from the Charlotte airport within one minute of each other. I leaped at the chance and we booked our trips.

A couple of days later, I realized that I wasn't really supposed to be flying this late in my pregnancy. So I begged and begged my OB office to write me a permission slip for "such a short flight" and luckily, they gave me the thumbs up. Whew!

I was really nervous to fly with Cambria by myself--especially since she has been so difficult for me this summer. I was able to pack everything for the two of us in one carry-on sized suitcase (that we checked) and a diaper bag. I was beyond proud of myself and bragged to everyone I could. We didn't bother with a stroller and my parents were able to borrow a car seat from a friend so that I didn't have to worry about lugging that around as well.

We had a great experience with the family security line at Charlotte. All of the TSA workers were extremely helpful and kind and we didn't have to remove anything from our bags, declare liquids, etc. We kept our shoes on and passed through with ease. It was so nice!

Andrew waited with Cambria and I at our gate and we had a tearful good-bye. It was definitely harder for us to part this time compared to our parting in late May because we both realized how difficult being separated long-term really was since we had already experienced it.
There were a few fake-outs for both of us as our flights were delayed. Andrew even came back to our gate for a little bit. But we eventually boarded and were on our way.

By some sweet tender mercy, the flight attendant was able to find Cambria and I our own row on the small flight and I was so grateful that she had her own seat to stretch out.
I gave her some juice and her blankie and turned on "Frozen" on the iPad and she did great! Considering she had only had a 20-minute nap in the car that day, I was feeling pretty good about life.

My dad picked us up at baggage claim and Indy and we loaded up and headed to West Lafayette. It was past Cambria's bedtime by now and she was starting to feel worn out. By the time we arrived at my parent's, she was in full meltdown mode and just wanted to go to bed!

Wednesday morning (July 1), Cambria made her stepping stone with Trinity for Grammy's garden. Ian made his with JC's help and then the kids had a good time playing in the bucket of water that was supposed to be for rinsing off hands.
Playing with Millie. Cambria looks so much like Andrew to me in this photo!
Sarah and I took Arni's Pizza to Grandma Martin for lunch and had a nice visit with her while Cambria stayed at home. Trinity decided that Cambria probably needed to watch "Frozen" on the iPad again while she ate lunch. 
One thing that I was looking forward to about being home was the plethora of baby-sitters to help with Cambria. It was so relaxing to have someone else watch her while I went out to lunch or ran to the grocery store by myself. I really needed a break and my family delivered.

JC and Trinity are such awesome cousins! They were constantly finding new ways to entertain Cambria and would carry her anywhere that we went. I was so grateful to them for their help.

Cambria definitely struggled on this trip for a few reasons. Her last canine is still hurting her but won't fully erupt yet. She became super clingy and scared of my brothers and brother-in-law. And she wasn't able to nap and sleep at night effectively and became more and more exhausted and more and more out of sorts. It was tricky!

We went to the West Lafayetter Farmers' Market that afternoon. It was really small and kind of disappointing but I did manage to find some delicious chocolate chip cookies to take home.
Cookie Monster!
After the Farmers' Market, we went home for dinner, put the kids to bed, and the adults broke out the boards for "Bags."
Later that night, Cole's family arrived. Cambria was excited to see her cousin, Julie, the next morning.
Thursday, July 2, we went to Prophetstown State Park to tour the new facilities that my Aunt Leslie has been working to restore. We looked around the farmhouse, collected eggs from the chicken coop, and saw the animals. We had a great morning!
After a nap for Cambria and a tour of Curt and Vanessa's new house for me, a few of us drove down to Indianapolis for the free family evening at the Children's Museum that they host the first Thursday every month. Curt and Vanessa took Ian and Trinity came with Cambria and I. We had so much fun even though we didn't explore much beyond the Playscape.
Friday, July 3, the family went to Columbian Park, It has changed a lot since my siblings and I had last been there! There were some water features for the kids to get a little wet, a wallaby walkabout area that was so cool, a petting zoo, and a butterfly garden. Of course, they had their gibbons (apes not monkeys like I thought) which are always entertaining. 

Cambria had a really hard time at the zoo and didn't seem to enjoy it the way the rest of us did. Kind of a bummer!
Mama's baby bump!
After the park, we walked across the street to Frozen Custard for marshmallow Cokes. They were pretty tasty once we figured out that you needed to mix the marshmallow topping into the drink periodically due to settling.
FaceTime with Daddy
We took the kids back to the house for lunch and naps and Lisa watched Cambria while Trinity and I went to Star Nails for much-needed holiday pedicures. Trinity got a cute firework design on her big toe. I was just glad to have someone reach down and paint my nails for the first time in ages (since Thanksgiving!)
Lisa made breakfast for dinner that night and Cambria loved the blueberry pancakes (minus the blueberries)!

1 comment: