(Note: If the weather is nice, you can keep grilling--this day is the bookend to the Mitchell family grilling season.)
September 3, 2013
Just a small family BBQ for two (or two and a half as Jessie Riley pointed out.) Andrew had school that day so Labor Day kind of snuck up on us. We had had a busy weekend cramming in lots of excitement as we began our Fall Bucket List for the year and so we forgot to spread the word that we were grilling. The food was plentiful and yummy.
Our complex has several nice patio areas for grilling. It was woodland creature crossing as we were joined by all sorts of critters as we cooked up some tasty morsels. Seriously. It felt like we were in a Disney movie.
Our feast included BBQ ribs, grilled corn, potato salad and baked beans. Let me include a yummy recipe from my Great Grandma Honeywell (via Grandma Martin AKA "Granny Slash") for baked beans along with some snippets of the emails that we exchanged as I procured this recipe the week before:
GREAT GRANDMA HONEYWELL’S BAKED BEANS
From
Grandma Martin: “This originated with my mother and has evolved over the
years. It is another of those recipes where
it’s difficult to be specific because so much is ‘to taste.’ [I] like mine on the sweeter side so I go
heavier on the brown sugar than on the catsup—but please taste as you go! Grandma Honeywell used to fish out the onion
before serving, but Grandpa Jack liked the onion, so I left it in.”
2 cans Campbell’s baked beans 1 can dark red
kidney beans, drained
1 T. molasses Brown
sugar to taste
Catsup to taste ½
yellow onion, halved
3 slices bacon, cut in half
Mix baked beans, kidney beans, molasses,
brown sugar and catsup in deep casserole dish.
Top with onion and bacon. Cover
and bake at 350° for 1¼ hours.
A
final note from Grandma Martin: “That’s the recipe I use for our family get-togethers—seems
quite enough with all the other goodies on the table. I have such happy memories of the good times
we had and it makes me very glad to know that my mother’s baked bean recipe is
now a favorite with another generation hundreds of miles and years away."
No comments:
Post a Comment