Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Primary Program and Sugar Cookies

October 20 was a wonderful Sunday for our family! 

First of all, it brought the highly-anticipated Primary Sacrament Meeting Program.  I have been enjoying my calling as Primary chorister much, much, much more than I ever thought I would.  For the past two months, I have worked hard with all of the kiddos at Church to review the many songs that the previous chorister taught them in preparation for the program. 

We have a large Primary of 80 active 3-12 year olds (with about 20+ that come every other week or every few weeks).  I know the number because of all of the candy I hand out as "Reverence Rewards." 

One of the ways that I enticed the Primary children to sing as loud as they could for the Program was to tell them how much Baby Girl loves music and sounds.  She really bounces around in there when I sing to her!  So I asked them to sing loud enough so that "my baby would start dancing in my tummy" and we had a little sign where I would rub my belly to remind them to sing louder.  I don't know how well it worked on the actual Program day, but it sure was funny!

Andrew will tell you what a dork I looked like waving my arms around, doing actions, rubbing my belly, mouthing words to help these kids sing the Primary songs but I had to set vanity aside so that their parents could hear how hard they had been working.  They did a great job and I was so very proud of them!

One of the songs we sang was "A Child's Prayer."  I had asked permission from the Primary President to have the Primary children sing the first part and the congregation sing the second part, but she didn't feel that it would work out logistically.  So we had the teachers sing the second part.  It was very beautiful!  I got a little teary-eyed conducting it and so did the President.

This reminds me of a story from early on in this pregnancy.  Back in late June, when it looked like I might be miscarrying again, I became extremely distraught.  I knew that I needed to pray but there were no words for my anguish.  I kneeled down next to my bed and waited for the words to come out of my mouth, but there was nothing. Finally, I just began to say the words of this song:

"Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
'Suffer the children to come to me.'
Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee."

I have a testimony that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father and that we can go to Him in prayer.  Maybe the words won't always come as we try to offer up the desires of our hearts, but we can find peace in the presence of His Holy Spirit as I did that night.

Alright let's fast forward to that night...

12.  Decorate Halloween sugar cookies

Sunday night we had the Molstres over again to decorate Halloween sugar cookies.  I had made up a yummy batch of Shannon McQuarrie's awesome sour cream sugar cookies and they were PERFECTION!  Just gorgeous!

Look at those cookies in their fluffy goodness!
We had quite the spread of candies to decorate the cookies with.  I think that is just Isenbarger family tradition--we have never gotten into the frosting tips and techniques.  I may try some tips next time though.  And we discovered that buttercream frosting seems to compliment this particular cookie recipe the best.  


No comments:

Post a Comment