Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Here We Go Again! A New Baby Is On Its Way!

In the early morning hours of November 17 (back when Cambria stubbornly refused to give up that 5 AM feeding!), I first had the impression that our family was ready for a new "somebody." I kind of laughed to myself because here I was, nursing one baby and lamenting how I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep now that I was awake, and Heavenly Father was giving me the nudge that He had something special in mind for us. I turned the thought over in my head for a few minutes. There was so much peace for me in that moment, that I knew this was God's will for our family and that it would all work out.

Surprisingly, Andrew broached the subject later that week. We agreed to give it some individual thought and prayer and discuss it at another time. When the topic came up again, I was surprised to hear that Andrew had been thinking a lot about it--often things are "out of sight, out of mind" for him. We both felt really good about moving forward with our family. It's a good thing, too, since we were about to hit fast forward.

Andrew and I know my pregnancy symptoms pretty well now due to the fact that this is our third time to this particular rodeo. It was hard to deny that I was pregnant the first week of December. I decided to tell Andrew when I was taking a pregnancy test this time since I have surprised him with the news the last two times and I even offered to let him see the results first. I took my first test on his birthday, December 8, and it immediately flashed "not pregnant." We were not fooled in the least. We impatiently waited until December 14 and this time Andrew came into the kitchen where I was making breakfast to tell me the good news. We also told Cambria. I'm sure she understood. Ha ha!

The next week we went to Indiana for Christmas vacation and knew we had to tell the members of my family that were going to be in the same house as I was for two weeks--there would be no hiding it!

{When I was pregnant with Cambria, Andrew sort of let the cat out of the bag to my family by accidentally sending them a group text (meant solely for me) asking if I wanted him to pick up a cheeseburger Happy Meal from McDonald's while he was running errands (my #1 craving!) Suspicious were fanned and when we finally told everyone, they all claimed that they "knew it" due to the cheeseburger text.}

So Sunday night, December 21, when we gathered for a family dinner with my siblings (minus Kyle's family), Andrew sent a group text out when I ran upstairs to feed Cambria asking if he should save me some fries "for the baby." My mom was the first to get the text and the celebration ensued.

It was hard to not tell everyone but we decided to wait until we had a visit with Dr. Cherian before we told the rest of our family. I was only 5 weeks pregnant at that point!

The first trimester of this pregnancy was typical for me--sick and tired and more sick. When the flu got added to the mix, I immediately called my doctor's office to beg for a prescription. I didn't take any medications the first time I was pregnant, and I took an over-the-counter sleep aid when I was pregnant with Cambria to help with the nausea. This time, I got the big guns: Phenergan for nighttime and Zofran as needed throughout the day. What a huge change for me! I feel like I can be a wife AND mommy AND be pregnant at the same time now whereas before I was a slug laying on the couch in my pajamas waiting until I could go to bed again.

I had my first ultrasound on January 28 (one week after the requisite Nurse OB appointment where a nurse spends an hour asking you the exact same questions that you previously answered on a mail-in questionnaire). It was definitely nerve-wracking for both Andrew and I. I think we will always be haunted by the disappointment of that very first ultrasound we had nearly two years ago when the doctor couldn't find the baby's heartbeat and determined that our baby was no longer alive.

We were relieved that there was a heartbeat and I was extra relieved to see such a chill baby hanging out in there. Cambria had been like a marble in a pinball machine at her first ultrasound. Please send us an easygoing second baby! The ultrasound tech noticed some sort of mass at the bottom of the placenta and Dr. Cherian suggested that it could be some sort of blood clot. That didn't surprise me considering I had some early bleeding in my pregnancy with Cambria and the explanation we were given was that it was some sort of sub-chorionic hemorrhaging. This sounded very similar.

Our official due date by the generic calendar is August 21. Just like Cambria, this baby is measuring three days early. I took it upon myself to change Cambria's due date from February 8 (official) to February 6 (a day later than the first ultrasound estimated) and was quite pleased when Cambria arrived on the date I had predicted. I don't want to press my luck this time, so I am going to stick to the official due date and hope that this baby doesn't overstay their welcome.
Soon after our ultrasound, we broke the news to the rest of our immediate family. We told Grandma Martin and Pooma in person when we saw them on February 3. We surprised Andrew's classmates with the news at a CSM gathering for Lynchburg College PT students on February 5. And we went "Facebook Official" on February 7.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I wish I had tried more medicines, especially with this last pregnancy, so glad to hear they worked!! Jeff's birthday is Dec 8th as well. His request a few (cough) years ago was to take a pregnancy test-and that's how we knew we were pregnant with our first!

    ReplyDelete