Mitchell Family August 2015

Mitchell Family August 2015

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Spring Break in Raleigh


Andrew's Spring Break was the second week of March. We had wanted to go to Atlanta to visit his Aunt Heidi and Aunt Shari but somehow our text messages got mixed up and we never heard back from one another. Oh well! I suggested that we drive to Raleigh for a quick overnight so that we could go to the temple. It was very spur of the moment and we packed up and left Tuesday morning, March 10.
Just waiting in the car and taking selfies--first time this girl is forward-facing and I think she likes the view! 
We made great time getting to Raleigh and arrived mid-afternoon. The temple is only open in the evenings on Tuesdays and so we had to find something to do in the meantime. After some driving around and a few wrong turns, we were able to make our way to a large outdoor playground that we have been to before on temple trips with other ward members. I really wanted to find a baby swing for Cambria since it was a nice, warm day (albeit a little overcast) and baby swings are few and far between in Lynchburg.
Still not a fan of the slide!
But she LOVES the swing!
This trip was Cambria's first time staying in a hotel. We were a little unsure as to how it would all go since Cambria goes to bed so early and in complete darkness. Even though I am tired and pregnant, I didn't want to call it a night at 7:30! So we decided to cram her pack & play in the bathroom and pray neither one of us had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. 
Making herself right at home
We called the temple and were able to make a reservation for Andrew to do initiatory ordinances that night at 8:00 and for me to do them the next morning at 9:00. It was a little tricky to work out since the Raleigh temple is such a small temple with limited operating hours and ordinance workers.

Dinner that night was at a Mongolian Grill up the road from where we were staying. I am sure that Raleigh has awesome places to eat--we just didn't know where to go! Since Cambria really likes noodles, we thought that would be a safe bet.
Trying hard to get in more photos with Cambria but still feeling awkward taking selfies!
After dinner, we got Cambria tucked into bed and then Andrew left for the temple. I stayed up and watched HGTV shows--I've gotten hooked on them since the girls at Peaksview Dental watch them all day in their operatories. Cambria had a little trouble settling down for the night but generally did pretty well for sleeping away from home.

The next morning we had breakfast, packed up and checked out. It was my turn to go to the temple and Andrew took Cambria back over to the same park for an hour. 

It is such a blessing to attend the temple! With Cambria and the distance to drive to a temple, we have not been able to go as frequently as we would like or as much as we need to go. I feel so close to my Heavenly Father and my earthly family when I take the time to serve in the temple. I love the feelings that I have inside of the temple and the that the blessings of temple covenants allow me to carry those feelings outside and "back to reality."
After my time in the temple, we took Cambria downtown to Marbles Kids Museum. It was only $5 a person and there were several different stations on the first floor that Cambria was able to play at. A lot of the stations reminded me of the Iowa Children's Museum at the Coral Ridge Mall but instead of being in separate rooms, the stations at Marbles were all together in one room.
Practicing with a "ba-ba" that she found. She is going to be a great big sis!
Calling "9-1-1" repeatedly. Not annoying at all.
Is it any wonder that one of the employees politely pointed out the bin for "tasted toys"?
We were only able to stay for a little over an hour before we needed to get lunch and get on the road so that Cambria could try to take an afternoon nap in the car. It was a quick trip to Raleigh and I am sure there is so much more we could have done but we will have to plan in advance and better next time.

1 comment:

  1. Our favorite restaurant is a BBQ place called "the pit." We still crave it!!

    ReplyDelete